Friday, February 3, 2012

Feeling Part Of

My life is very much the same every day.

I pick Filippo up from school, we ride on the U-Bahn and then walk to his ice skating lessons. We get him dressed, and then I sit for two hours with the other moms and Sascha's dad. Half of the moms are Russian, the other half are Germans. While the Russian mom's are a bit more friendly, not all of them speak German... so every day I just sit there and read, or do homework, or try to listen in on the mom's gossiping about sexy Mr. Vilshenko the ice skating coach.

Two months after seeing these women EVERY day, and getting nothing but the silent treatment, one finally asked me where I was from yesterday. I was so happy I almost forgot my German. We chatted a bit, and it was really fun. The other moms saw her talking to me. Next thing you know, I am surrounded by a group of German speaking mothers who are giving me German lessons. One mom sat with me for an entire hour and explained trennbar verbs in full! It was really cool. Hopefully, initiation is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment