Sunday, February 19, 2012

Carnival, German-Style

Many people are familiar with the Latin-American tradition of "Carnival". It takes place from the end of February to the beginning of March, and basically is an excuse to party all the time. Well, Germany decided they didn't want to be left out, and started their own version of Carnival. It's basically like Halloween, with lots of alcohol.
Serving Cocktails on the streets

Alcoholic Crepes. Serving at 11 am



Booths set up in the street, people dress up as vikings, and everyone throws confetti at one another. There is live music, and live dancing, and thank goodness, men in Lederhosen. This guy was selling fish on a stick. Literally. Fish. On a stick. Even he thought it was funny because he smiled when I took a picture of him.


Despite the hail, it was really fun to walk around. We saw lots of great costumes, and it was fun to see the city decorated festively.
 This is just the beginning. On Tuesday the real "Carnival" events begin. My host made made it clear to me that I did not have to work that night, because it was in fact, necessary to me to be out partying. Okay, I told her. You don't have to tell me twice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment