Monday, August 13, 2012

Nanny Problems: A dead Mouse


     It was a lovely summer day and Emily and I were outside playing princess. I wasn't technically working, but Christa was in the shower and Emily wanted to play with me, so of course I went outside with her.

Emi runs in the corner to hide from me when she stops:"Komm mal Steffie, hier, schnell! Crok mal was ich gefunden hab!!" Come Steffie here fast! Look what I found! I come running over. "A dead mouse!" She replies enthusiastically. "No Emi, don't touch, back away from that". I told her. I'm thinking: Ew. Gross. I really hope Christa doesn't ask me to pick this up. Emi is so intrigued. "I don't want to touch it, I just want to look". So she hovers over it. "Poor, poor mouse". She repeats. I'm incredibly grossed out. I don't see why Emi wants to stare at it, but she really seems to like the thing. Next thing I know, she has a flower in her hand. One by one, she starts picking the petals off and throwing them over the mouse. She was so somber about it. It was pretty sweet, I have to say.



When she was done throwing flowers over it, she says to me, "Steffie, go get mommy. She can start the grill up and we can cook it and eat it."

Erhm. Excuse me. "No, Emi, we can't eat the mouse".

"I don't mean now," she said, "I mean later. For dinner". 

I stop. Now, my German's pretty okay, but there's just some concepts and words I have trouble expressing. I start to think and put together the words I do know, and I think it came out something like this: "Emi, your not allowed eat mice. They are dirty and have a lot of bacteria on top of them. If you eat them, you would get sick."

Either I drastically butchered my German, Or she didn't believe me.

"Don't worry," she tells me, "Mommy will make it yummy".

Some might say my patience is running a little dry, but at this moment I admitted defeat. "Let's go get your mommy and show her. I bet she wants to see".

"Yayyyyy!!!!" exclaimed Emi.

So off we went, into the bathroom, to get a very surprised Christa. In her towel and all, she came outside to get rid of our dead little friend, and I was a very happy girl.



P.S. We didn't have mice for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment